Dry skin has a dry parched appearance and has a tendency to flake easily. It is prone to wrinkles and lines. It is due to the inability to retain moisture as well as the insufficient production of sebum by the sebaceous glands. Dry skin often has problems in cold weather and ages faster than normal or oily skin. Constant protection is very important. It needs a moisturizer during the day and a good cream at night.
Dehydrated skin is yet another version of dry skin, it is defined as the skin in which surface dehydration takes place. It is the problem affecting about ninety eight percent of the population. It has different problems associated in varying ways. It leads to scaly, taut, premature ageing and various symptoms.
This is taut skin with a scaly feel, revealing a lot of superficial lines and prone to premature ageing. As is obvious, this skin condition is caused by the rapid loss of water on thin surface of the skin.
Dry Skin can be of following types
- Natural dry skin - the person is born with dry skin, this skin type is inherited and cannot be corrected permanently.
- Temporary dry skin - A temporary condition developed due climatic condition (dry ,itchy skin in Winter) Dry skin caused by dehydration due to excessive dry weather condition or sudden exposure to the sun. This condition is a temporary phenomenon and can be corrected once normal weather conditions are restored.
- Dry Skin caused by ageing - Skin looses its moisture contents naturally as it progresses in age. This change in the skins texture is permanent and can be delayed but not prevented.
How to Identify Dry skin?
Look out for
- Signs of flaky / scaly skin.
- Chapped lips (at times bleeding).
- White nail scratch marks on the hands/face.
- Skin that shows dry eruptions or skin that has been scratched.
- Look at the hands and elbows for slightly darker skin tone.
- Chapped finger tips.
- Dry cuticles, flaking near the sides (corners) of the nails.
- White patchy skin specially on the cheeks, near the lips.
- Premature lines near the eyes (crows feet) and lips (laugh lines).
- Cracked heels (at times bleeding).
- Hair with dandruff.
- Skin that feels tight (tension due to excessive dryness) and rough.